Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Where's the beef?

We keep a Costco sized box of individually wrapped peanut butter snack crackers in the car, so that whenever we see anyone standing at an intersection we can help them out. It's a tough thing explaining to the kids that there are people out there that don't have enough money for food, or even a place to live. They're learning that we can help them by providing a snack, something that could end up being the only thing they eat all day.

Today we were stopped at a red light for a left hand turn. There was a man directly next to us with a sign that read "Visions of a Cheeseburger". I rolled down my window and handed him a couple packages of crackers. As I rolled my window back up, Owen said, "Hey, hungry doesn't start with a V." I told to him that the sign was asking for a cheeseburger. "Well, why don't you give him a cheeseburger?" "I don't happen to have a cheeseburger in the car, nor do I know where to find one right now," I replied.

His response? "HELLO, Mc.Donald's, Mama!"

3 comments:

Monica said...

Wow, that's a really great idea to keep food in the car for handing out. Good lesson to teach, too!

Tridentine Wife said...

haha your kids are crazy, when are you gonna bring them by?

Selena and Anna said...

That is such a sweet story Allison! How cute of Owen to put that all together...teaching them to be kind.. so sweet:)

As of 1 October 2007