Friday, November 28, 2008

In the corners of my mind

I'm completely reminded of Noni, my mom's mom, and Grandpa, my dad's dad, at this time of year.  

My noni was the best cook and every year she'd make lots of different kinds of Christmas cookies.  She'd store them in the biggest Tupperware containers I've ever seen.  My favorite were her snicker doodles and sugar cookies.  We're putting up our Christmas tree today, and I'm reminded of her more than ever, since we're living in her old house.  

The Sutter Cancer Center is on the same block downtown as Biba Restaurant and when Noni was doing her chemo she would always talk about Biba.  She even took a few cookbooks in for Biba to autograph.  Earlier this week I went to lunch with my coworkers at Biba's.  While there Biba herself came over to our table and I was completely verclempt, thinking about Noni and how much I missed her.

My Grandpa loved Christmas and loved spending time with his family more than anything else. When he passed away in 2006, ironically in December, he left behind not only his beloved wife of 59 years, but also 8 children and their spouses, 22 grandchildren and their spouses, and 6 great grandchildren - what a legacy!  

My Uncle Larry and Aunt Susie made a video slideshow years ago of the whole family through the years, and there is a good chunk of it devoted to Christmas pictures and songs.  Every time I hear "Celebrate Me Home" or "I'll be Home for Christmas" I think of that video and am reminded of what wonderful memories I have from my own childhood and what I want for my children.

No comments:

As of 1 October 2007